The Granary |

The granary is one of the driest rooms in the Castle. Originally, it was the governor’s granary. It was later used as a gunpowder magazine because the previous gunpowder store had become too damp.
Today it houses a ceramic display titled “Fired” with archaeological evidence that dates back to 22 000 years of occupation of the Cape and South Africa generally by its indigenes. On display is, among others, one of the two lions which were originally seen on the pillars at the entrance “Lions Gate” to the Castle. Initially, it was thought that they were the work of the German sculptor Anton Anreith; however, it was believed that it might have been an enslaved artist, most likely from Asia. When layers of whitewash had been removed, however, it was found that they were made from baked local clay and of Eastern origin, probably dating back to the 13/1400’s. An example of the archaeological excavations done during the restoration of the Castle is found here.